Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The power of pizza rolls

Just got home and want a snack, ate an early dinner and craving something. Am I really hungry and do I really need to eat? Probably not, but I like to read and eat, or is it eat and read? Whatever, they are a glorious combination and I am about to do both.

Speaking of glorious combinations, I had one of my summer favorites yesterday, a batch of radishes with some salt on them and a diet coke. The combo is great together and gives you some seriously powerful burps. But you always get the one woody, extra spicy radish that just doesn’t taste right. I like them cold, and sitting in water after a while after they are clean.

Anyway, I first had some of my homemade salsa with tortilla chips while settling in to read my new Sports Illustrated. This salsa was pretty good this time. I used five medium tomatoes, half a cup of jalapenos, green onion, white onion, half a red pepper, half an orange pepper, half a green pepper, a dash of Louisiana hot sauce, and mixed it with some salsa seasoning mix. I also added some jalapeno juice which I got on my hand and later rubbed in my eye which felt oh so good burning away.

So, I still wanted to eat more and even though the food gal came home with $165 in groceries the other night, I was not quite sure what I wanted. There was a frozen pizza in the fridge, but I had pizza the night before and just wasn’t up for another (well, I was up for it but I thought I’d hold off). Looked at making a shrimp and rice dish I had the night before, but passed. Looked at some deli turkey or salami, and passed. Basically, I wanted as minimal time and effort as possible to make something.

I finally found it in the freezer, and I knew it was there but forgot – Pizza rolls!! I think food gal snuck them in behind the vanilla frozen yogurt and underneath the beef loins so she could sneak the snack for herself. But I was on to her tricks, and found the pizza rolls she had schemes with. Now that they are cooking, I don’t even know what kind they are, but no worries, it’s a pizza roll so I am not picky.

I always count out my pizza rolls when putting them on the cookie sheet. I had 18 to start, but put two away to go with 16. I got out the aluminum foil and sprayed it with Pam cooking spray before putting them on. Food gal always puts the pizza rolls right on the cookie sheet, no spray, no foil. Why? It makes no sense, because then you have to clean the cookie sheet. If you just put it on a piece of foil you just toss the foil away. Plus, with no spray, they stick to the pan. I like my pizza rolls just so the sauce and meat is oozing out a bit, not a whole lot, but just a bit. But you have to let them sit for a few minutes otherwise you will seriously burn your tongue. It’s not quite letting it sit as long as when you get soup from a restaurant like Panera, but pretty close.

Anyway, pizza rolls are a great snack, and I am glad I found them even though food gal was trying to hide them. Now it’s time to eat them.

Eat!

No comments: