Friday, September 26, 2008

What are your favorite types of potato chips?

I had a tough dilemma today when making lunch this morning. Do I have the Old Dutch sour cream and onion chips, or the sour cream and onion Pringles?

It got me thinking: Are you a regular or ruffled chip fan? What is your favorite flavor? Or do you like Pringles? Or, perhaps kettle chips? Who would have ever imagined there would be so many chip varieties?

Note: Have you ever really looked at a Pringles container? What is up with the picture of the guy on the package? The guy has no ears, and no mouth or nose. He has a little bit of hair on top, eyes and a bushy moustache. But no ears, nose or mouth? Does he even get to eat the Pringles he promotes? Who in the Pringles marketing department said “yeah, that guy looks like a great representation of what we are trying to promote?” Who is he anyway? Does he have a name or is it just “that guy on the Pringles box?”

Anyway…I went with the Pringles today, because I had the regular sour cream and onion yesterday with my Italian BMT from Subway. Today I made a ham sandwich at home, with some potato salad and potato chips. No mashed potatoes, however.

How many of you get just plain regular potato chips? There are so many chip flavors out there (The food guys favorites: Sour cream and onion, cheddar and sour cream, jalapeno cheddar kettle) it can really be a tough decision. But when it comes to plain chips, the only time I ever get them is if get the French onion dip to dip it in. These two together are a great combo. I don’t really like dipping, say, sour cream and onion chips into a French onion dip. It’s kind of like Doritos (they are a separate chip family from the potato chip, but have similar qualities), I don’t like dipping Doritos in salsa, and instead like them plain. I like sour cream and onion chips plain, and not to use with dipping.

I always loved that big huge box at the store that was plain black and white, and just said “Potato Chips” on it. They tasted just like the other chips, they just looked plain.

I do like the fact that Pringles are easy to get out, you don’t have to reach into a loud bag to get them, and they make a good snack when traveling. And, they don’t get crushed, along with the bread, when you pack them in the grocery bag.

Chips are a great addition to any lunch. What are your favorites?

No comments: