Saturday, August 24, 2013

Rock The Guac!


I’ve been on a big Guacamole kick lately. Eating it, making it and saying it, it’s been a big part of The Food Guy’s life. It’s a simple homemade treat and easy to make.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the grocery store of the department store chain downtown near my work and found they had Guacamole.

There’s nothing better than doing some work and munching on some chips and guac, and there’s nothing better than taking a mid-day break to stroll through a grocery store. Ahhh…therapeutic.

The one thing you always hear about Guacamole is “it’s high in fat, but it’s the good fat.”

Really? There is good fat now? Give me a break. Yes, I know some fats are essential. But saying it’s a good fat is like those people who in 114 degree heat say, “it’s a dry heat so it’s not bad.” Whatever, 114 degrees is still mighty freakin’ hot.

If I eat the two packs of guac that come in the box I bought – guac only not including the chips – that’s a total of over 700 calories and 52 grams of fat. I mean, who really eats only a couple of bites of chips and dip and quits? Most chipper and dippers I know are all in – you eat as much as you can until satisfied. But it’s the good fat right? So I am okay? Again - give me a break.

Guacamole has become one of the many foods I’d like to see featured in an all-you-can eat eating contest. It’s a great treat, but don’t get brainwashed into thinking it’s a health food. It has lots of good nutrients, but fat is fat, good or bad. And on that note, I’m off to get the second package of guac to continue my eating adventures and add to my daily fat intake.

No doubt, now is a good time to rock the guac!

No comments: