Tuesday, August 6, 2013

If you're up early to eat, brag. If not, don't

Why do people who get up early brag about getting up early? You don’t get a prize. When is the last time a co-worker or friend said “I got up at 8 a.m. today” like it was supposed to mean something. But sure enough, you can bet someone very soon will say “I got up at 5 a.m. this morning” and think you should be wowed by that (like the person who I work with who just said that, for example).
I get up early, but I go to bed early, so what’s the difference if you go to bed late and get up later? Or, if you go to bed early and sleep late? Get what you need to done in-between that and it doesn’t matter if you get up late, early or in-between. Now, if they got up early and said “I got up early so I could eat 6 White Castle cheeseburgers to start the day.” Then that’s a good reason to brag about getting up early. Or, “I got up early, had some leftover pizza, then went back to bed for a while.” That’s another good reason.
But why is someone special just because they get up early? Unless you have a good reason (like getting up to eat) – not just because that’s when you start your day, you aren’t any more special or important than the next person.
This was not so much food related, but hey, how about this: I got up early today and when I got home Food Gal had already made me toast and hard-boiled eggs for breakfast – and packed a lunch of pasta salad and an apple. By 9 a.m., the pasta salad was gone.
Hey, maybe this getting up early thing is something to think about – because then you can eat more earlier! But it still doesn’t make you any more important or give you a reason to think people should care.

No comments: