Saturday, August 31, 2013

Wanted: Something Good to Eat!

Sometimes, it’s just hard to find what the heck you want to eat. I just ate a turkey sandwich but couldn’t decided if I wanted that or leftover tacos. The turkey sandwich wasn’t enough and I wanted more. I am just utterly confused at what I want to eat next. The main thing is, I don’t want to cook.

I just opened the cupboard and looked at some minestrone soup, cans of tuna and green beans. Not doing it. I then opened the freezer and was staring at some pot pies while craving hot dogs.

You see, when you look through the cupboards, fridge or the freezer when you are not sure what you want to eat – and you don’t really have anything appealing to eat - it’s like being in the desert when you are dehydrated. Your mind starts playing games on you. You start hallucinating. We all do it, we keep looking in the fridge, freezer or cupboards – the same one’s over and over – thinking there is suddenly going to be something new in there to eat. Then you realize half the stuff in there is stuff you don’t really want to eat anyway, that’s why it’s still in there.

Oh, there is plenty in the freezer I want to eat – steak, pizza rolls, chicken patties (by gosh, maybe I’ll have a chicken patty now that I think about it) but they just weren’t what I really really wanted. You know how it is, you open it up and spot it right away, kind like a woman seeing a great deal on a clearance item at the local clothing store. Oh yeah, all over it.

I pulled out some basmati rice and opened the package, then thought “do I really want to make rice at 12:24 on a Saturday?” So far, no.

I ate my turkey sandwich solo – meaning without a partner, like chips – and a diet coke. While looking through one cupboard I found some Triscuits. Of course as is the case anytime with Triscuits, the bag wasn’t shut properly in the box, therefore the Triscuits were stale. Two things: Is there anything worse than a stale Triscuit? And, does anyone actually ever shut the plastic in the box properly so Triscuits can last over time? Really, Triscuits should be a refrigerated food because they seem to spoil so fast. Or else they need better packaging because no one ever shuts the plastic properly anyway.

Anyway, today is one of those days when I don’t know what to eat. But don’t despair, I’ll still eat – just not sure what quite yet. It’s time to go back and stare into the cupboards, fridge and freezer some more to see what suddenly shows up.

No comments: