Monday, September 2, 2013

Corn Dogs: Odd or Even?


I bought some corn dogs at the store the other day. The state fair kind – they are a great easy snack/meal supplement.

I was perplexed though, the same brand had one box with 6 corn dogs, and another box with 5 corn dogs. Why would they have such similar options? Why not a 6 and an 8? Or a 4, 8 or 10? I don’t think there should be any odd number packages though. Who eats just one corn dog at a time? I suppose there could be a time when you don’t want two, but want three so if you eat two, and later down the road, in a week or two, get the corn dog crave, you eat two, then you want one more, you have that extra one?

But why a 5-pack and a 6-pack?

As I was reading the heating instructions (corn dogs must be cooked in the oven, the microwave just makes it soggy), it said “heat for 16-20” minutes.

It got me thinking – are you a 16 minute heater or a 20-minute heater? Do you check at 16 minutes or do you wait the entire 20 minutes? I usually flip at about 8 minutes, and then check at 16. It’s better to be undercooked, than overcooked. But does anyone really check at the 17th, 18th or 19th minute, for example?

Why is the package odd numbers (5), but the heating instructions even (16-20)? And, do they have a team that tests them? One group does the 15-19 minute tests, the other does the 16-20 minute test? And the winner gets a dinner at a fancy restaurant while the others are voted off?

I like my corn dogs with ketchup and mustard. I like to eat them by dipping my corn dog into ketchup and mustard. I don’t like squirting the ketchup or mustard on the corn dog, there is too much potential for disaster (such as a ketchup or mustard stain on a white shirt). It’s acceptable at the state fair, but when at home, I like to dip.

That’s all – time to eat those corn dogs. Heaven on a stick.

No comments: