Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Do you like to mix your meats?

I just got on to an elevator, and coming out was a woman whose voice sounded like Chris Farley. Whoa.

Anyway, what’s up with meat? As in, do you like mixing your meats on your pizza?

I’m a one meat at a time kind of guy. For example, many people love the meat pizza with sausage, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, hamburger, bacon, etc. Not me. I love eating meat, but, I like the meat I am eating to be the dominant ingredient.

For example, I like Pepperoni pizza and nothing else. I like sausage, mushroom and onion, or sausage, mushroom and green olive. I like plain Canadian Bacon. Notice the trend? I don’t like a combo pizza of sausage and pepperoni. I don’t like the “meat lover’s” pizza because I don't think it’s fair to make meats compete against each other. But some people do - some say the meats complement each other and that’s good for them.

On another subject, I often find that most people are willing to mix sausage with other ingredients, but maybe order Pepperoni separately. I am probably biased because I don’t do it, but you don’t seem to hear people say I want the Pepperoni and onions as much as the sausage and onion or Canadian bacon and pineapple. I’m not much of a fruit guy on my pizza, but why is pineapple the only fruit most people put on or can get on pizza, and why is pineapple only always allowed with Canadian bacon? And what’s up Chorizo, why isn’t that called Mexican bacon? How come the Canadians get to call their form of meat by it’s country name, but Mexican’s can’t? I tell you what, they need better marketing south of the border.

One other thing - I think, unless you are really hungover and just want a junk pizza (junk as in it’s got a lot of junk on it but tastes really good), there should be a three topping rule on pizzas (extra cheese doesn’t count). Any more than three ingredients, and you are starting to expand the capabilities of your ingredients beyond their limitations.

Anyway, I don’t like mixing my meats.

As for you, it’s up to you. Mix and match all you want, I’ll take the plain pepperoni, or the sausage, onion and green olive or mushroom.

No comments: