Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Jimmy John's and KISS, a solid combination

I was hungry this morning so I went to Jimmy John's for lunch.

I've written about JJ's before and will probably do so again. I like their subs, but I just don't like the fact that you walk in and suddenly 6 people are like "dude, what's up?" "How's it going dude?" Everyone says hi - and dude - no matter where they are in the store. Today, I think I heard the manager yell "hey, dude, what's up?" while in the bathroom, mid dump.

Then the next thing that bugs me about JJ's is how when you order, they always upsell. Want peppers with that? Want cheese with that? Well, how come you are only asking me about the items you charge extra for?

Then, the workers don't really listen. Three recent times at this JJ's they made mistakes. I ordered the turkey tom for Food Gal the other day and before I got the "no mayo" out they had already put mayo on it. I ordered the roast beef with onions - and they forgot the onions. Then the other time, a turkey tom, I asked for no sprouts, and they added sprouts. Maybe if I sent a text message to the 15-year-old guy or girl making the sub they would get it right.

I don't care how fast you make the sub, or how speedy it is, I just want it done right. Also, I love loud music, the louder the better - except when I am ordering a sub. Why is the music so loud at Jimmy John's? Where in the business model did they think "really loud music, so loud that no one can hear anything is a positive?"

Today, however, I was pleased with the music. As I was ordering my vito (Italian sub), chips (jalapeno) and diet coke, the song "I Was Made For Loving You" by KISS was on the speakers. I hadn't heard that song in some time and was reminded of what a solid, steady song that was. I was singing the song in my head when I realized the song was actually a subliminal message from my sub. The song, I Was Made for Lovin You, was not really about KISS. It was a greeting from my sub about our experience we were about to emabrk on. Therefore, I suddenly was singing these lyrics and thinking about my sub:

I was made for eating you baby
You were made for me eatin you baby
And I can't get enough of you baby
Can you get enough or me?
I was made for eating you baby
You were made for me eating you baby

That moment made my day. Kiss and Jimmy John's. My sub wasn't the greatest today (the bread was a bit old I think and half of each bite contained lettuce and oil and no meat), but the combination of song and food made it a wonderful experience.

I immediately went home and played that video on YouTube - do the same yourself here - you know you want to: KISS - I was made for loving you

No comments: