Monday, July 22, 2013

Counting Cards? No, Counting Chews

On the flight down the man next to me was devouring a burrito he brought on the plane. I was really impressed by the way he ate it, and just seemed to enjoy the tasty looking burrito.

As he was sitting there, I watched his every move out of the corner of my eye, and then I did an unoffiical survey and counted his chews for each bite. His least amount was 11, and the most was 19. It took him 6 bites to finish the burrito, and he had 11, 13, 17, 15, 17 and 19 chews of each bite before swallowing. In a few bites though, he would chew about 12-14 times, swallow, then continue chewing. I just was so happy as I could imagine the joy he had as the tasty food slid down his throat to his belly, satisfying the hunger and taste buds.

It got me thinking…do you ever count your chews before swallowing? How many chews do you have per bite? Something to think about next time you eat.

No comments: