Monday, July 1, 2013

Double lunch? Depends on your theory of eating

When I was in school I would eat two lunches everyday, and on that one day when we had turkey and gravy over biscuits, I would eat three.
A while ago I wrote wondering if you could eat two lunches in one day. I had a similar scenario today.
I missed breakfast and didn’t get something to eat right away when I got to work. Around 10 a.m. I was starving. I went to Subway and got a 6-inch turkey sub as a tasty treat to hold me over. I came back to the office and a co-worker said “wow, lunch already?” People just assume if you are eating Subway it's lunch.
That got me thinking – if you eat at 10 a.m., is it breakfast or lunch? Or is it a snack? And, does it depend on the type of food you eat. Around 10 a.m. you see hordes of workers out getting coffees, thinking the caffeine is going to lighten their day and improve their crappy jobs. I also saw a guy eating a mammoth chocolate chip cookie. So, are those people having breakfast (for some coffee is breakfast), or a snack? And, if I was eating a blueberry muffin, would my co-worker have said anything at all, because muffins are considered acceptable morning foods? Why is it even classified in a breakfast, lunch, dinner anyway? Instead of three squares a day, I like to eat four to five rounds a day. So, really it’s not breakfast, lunch, dinner, it’s eat, eat, eat, eat, eat.
Back to topic. If you eat at 10 a.m. would you say you are eating breakfast, lunch or a snack? And if it’s a sub, why is that considered lunch, when for me it was a snack?
Two hours later I had a gyro and fries for lunch – or was it for a snack? By the way, I got the gyro and fries, but wanted the Greek rice. The thing is, that seasoning you put on fries at a Greek restaurant is so good. But after I got the fries I wanted the rice. Such dilemmas.
What do you prefer at 10 a.m.? Is it lunch? Is it a snack? Is it breakfast? Depends on your theory of eating.

No comments: